Having a good character is one of the most important thing. It distinguish Muslim from others, so that a Muslim should have a good character in order to live a a happy life. A father could not provide his family unless he is good of character and a husband can’t have a happy marriage if he’s not good to his wife. Here are more of the importance of good character in Islam:
1. It’s One of the Most Important Mission of the Prophet’s (SAW)
It’s clear that one of the most important mission that Allah SWT has bestowed upon the Prophet (SAW) is to guide the human to possess a good character.
“It is He who raised up among the unlettered [Arabs] a Messenger from them to recite His verses to them and purify them and teach them the Book and Wisdom, even though before that they were clearly misguided.” – Al Jumuah (62:2)
2. It’s the Part of Faith and Belief
There are no better believers other than those who have a good character. It becomes part of the faith’s branches in Islam. The Messenger of Allah has said it himself,
“They are those who have the best character and manners.” – Tirmidhi
Also read: Importance of Surah Al Lahab
3. It’s Part of All Worship Acts
There are four worship acts that every Muslim should fulfill. Prayers, Zakaat, and Fasting are three worship acts that all contained moral aspects that shaped every Muslim to become a good person.
4. To Gain the Best Reward from Allah SWT
The best and the biggest reward to a Muslim that have a good character. It will be placed as one of the good deeds of a person on the Day of Judgement. As the Prophet (SAW) said,
“No deed that will be placed on the scale of deeds [on the Day of Judgement] will be heavier than good character. Indeed, a person with good character will attain the rank of those with a good record of voluntary fasts and prayers.” – Tirmidhi
Also read: Importance of Marriage in Islam
5. The Reward is Similar to the Night Prayers
Another great rewards to be gained from having a good character is that the reward is similar with the reward gained from the Tahajjud prayers.
… Abu Hurayrah said that the Prophet of Allah, upon him be peace, said, “If one has good manners, one may attain the same level of merit as those who spend their nights in prayer.”
6. To be Prevented from the Worldly Matters
Worldly thing is the biggest temptation for a Muslim. And it sometimes hard to stay in the path of Allah SWT. Abdullah Ibn Amr said,
“There are four characteristics that, if you possess them, will prevent you from being affected if you are deprived of certain worldly benefits. They are good character, chaste outlook, honesty, and trustworthiness.”
Also read: Importance of Ashura in Islam
7. Good Character is a Quality of Muslim
What distinguish Muslim from others? It’s a good quality that every Muslim should have. By having a good character, we can show how good Islam and Muslim is.
8. To be the Best Muslim for Allah SWT
“Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) was neither a Fahish (one who talks evil) nor a Mutafahhish (a person who conveys evil talk or a person who peaks obscene evil words to make people laugh), and he used to say, ‘The best among you are the best in character (having good manners).’” – Bukhari
Also read: Importance of Thursday Night in Islam
9. To Follow the Example of the Prophet
“Indeed in the Messenger of Allah (Muhammad PUBH) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes in (the Meeting with) Allah and the Last Day and remembers Allah much.” – Al Ahzab (33:21)
10. To be Loved by Allah Dearly
Allah loves and cherish all His faithful servants who are having a good character.
The Messenger of Allah said, “The most beloved of you to Allah is the best of you in character” – Bukhari
Also read: Importance of Tassawuf in Islam
How to Have a Good Character in Islam
Even though it’s a part of faith, a good character is a quality that a Muslim should possess to distinguish themselves from others. However, a good character is not given, but to be practiced by the time. A Muslim should have a good character in every aspects of their lives. Here are the ways how to have a good character in Islam.
- Treat the Non-Muslim. A Muslim should be kind towards all people, not only to the fellow Muslims. As said in the Holy Quran, “Allah does not forbid you from being good to those who have not fought you on account of your religion or driven you from your homes, or from being just towards them. Allah loves those who are just.” – Al Mumtahinah (60:8)
- Treating the Animals. Islam never view animals as a lower being than human. In fact, there’s a story about a woman that is punished to the Hellfire because she left a cat found starving to death on the street.
- Treating the Environment. Taking a good care of the environment is also a part of good character in a Muslim. Wasting the environment considered similar with the acts of corruption and, “Allah does not like corruption.” – Al Baqara (2:205)
- Treating the Family. A man’s good character define by how he treat his family. As the best of men is those who love their wives. The Prophet (SAW) said, “The best of you are those who treat their wives the best, and I am the best of you in this respect.” – Tirmidhi
- Having Good Manner in Any Situation. There are many aspects in human’s life that require them to show their good of character, such as at work or during trading with others.
So those are all the ways how to have good character in Islam. Islam is perfect, Muslims are not. As we have many flaws,