Here we go again in the azislam.com, Islamic information center site. If azislam.com has discussed some articles like importance of Bismillah in Islam, how to repent in Islam for major sins, and importance of husband in Islam, in this occasion, azislam.com will talk about the impacts of the existence of Islam toward Indian civilization. But before we start it, don’t forget to read another azislam.com articles like importance of sickness in Islam & virtues of old age in Islam.
Islam is the second biggest of religion in India where the first is Hindu. The result of census showed that more than 13.4 percent the residents of India call themselves as Moslems. In this quantity, India becomes the third biggest of country with Moslems population.
The history of Moslem in India has got tide. Since the first century of Hijriyah, Islam has entered India in the era of Umara bin Khattab where he did an expedition. In 643 M, Arabian conquered Makran in Baluchistan. Moslems continued this expedition and succeed to control Sind in the era of Bani Umayyah. Finally, Arabian has been permanent residences in 871 M.
Before Islam came to India, akhlaq, the value of society and belief were looked clearly. The regress of society’s pillar was looked from the sixth century. It was signed with many offerings, Gods, adultery, lust, the lameness of society and injustice. (Mazda Khasara al-Alam bi Inhithath al-Muslimin by Abu Hasan an-Nadwi, page 88)
At that time, so many religions and beliefs in India. The biggest is Hindu, then Buddha. In there, there is a little of Christian and Jew. (Tarikh al-Islam fi al-Hind by Abdul Mun’in Namr, page 24).
In 1020, Mahmud Gaznawi succeed to conquered the kings of Hindu in India. He also made them to embraced Islam. After Gaznawi dynasty, many little dynasty appeared. When there was a mess, they invited Muhammad Babur from Kabul who succeed to built the king of Mogul. In the rule of Mogul’s kingdom, Islam reached a peak in India. The Islamic developments in India appeared in many aspects, such as art, literature, and architecture (palace, villa and beautiful mosque).
So, what are impacts of Islam on Indian society. Here is the explanation about it.
- Politically, Islam has ruled in India. During period of Islam, The condition of Moslems and non-Moslems were better. It was undeniable that Indian society received an amazing boost in the period of Islam. Because of that, impact of Islam on Indian society is very big.
- Islam took effects about the change of belief and life system in India that it was many influenced by Hindu (musyrik). The teaching of Islam came with tauhid where only Allah SWT, the only One God. It also taught human equation in front of Allah Subahnahu Wa Ta’ala. Someone is not measured from his descendant or his race, but Allah Subahanahu Wa Ta’ala looks his faith to Him.
- The attendance of Islam influenced all order of Hindus life. Islam also roused some aspects such as economic, education, politic and others. It has also pushed the improvement of trading. Through Moslem traders, the trading of India spread to the Middle East, Mongolia, and Indonesia in the Southeast Asia. [AdSense-B]
- Along with the growth of International trading, the spreading and increasing sciences and technology also increase. The invention of windmill was happened in the era of Islam. The using of tiles to many buildings in India was influenced by architectures from Iraq, Iran and the Middle Asia. The glassware (made from soil) were many adopted from China that was brought by the ruler of Mughal.
- In the period of Sultan Abidin (1420 – 1470), he sent professional workers to Samarqand. So that, they can learn about bindery and the use of paper.
- In the era od Islam, There were the development of industry countries. These countries are still famous until now. Khurja and Siwan are famous with their pottery industry, Moradabad with brass things, Mirzapur with its carpets, Firozabad with glass things, Farrukhabad with printing industry, Sahranpru with wood carving, Srinagar with ‘papier Mache’ (the result of industry from pulp) and others.
- In terms of language, the influence of Arabic (as Islam language) came up Urdu (an Indic language). This language has nahu Prakrit with vocabulary of Persia, Arab and Turkey. It is written with Arabic script but its sound does not like Arabic, such as munsyi. [AdSense-C][14 Impacts of Islam on Indian Society – Historical Point of View]
- The impact of Islam in India was also looked from the technology of its buildings in the era of Mughul, such as Kabuli Bagh in Panipat, the Mosque of Jami’ in Sambal and a mosque in Agra. Shah Jahan is a famous architecture. The architecture of India was introduced with new elements such as the use of form, the use of decorative letters or calligraphy, the use of colored marble, paint, plaster and bright tiles. The Quwwat-ul-Islam is the first mosque in India. It was built in 1193. Now, this mosque is noted as a World heritage site of UNESCO in Delhi. Besides that, there is Taj Mahal. It is many influenced by the concept and Style of Islam. Now, Taj Mahal becomes one of wonders of the world.
- By becoming a Moslem, all people in India have chance to raise their social class in the society. They do not have to subject to brahman again. Previously, Buddha was very famous in India, but it died slowly under the control of Islam.
- In New Delhi, Moslems do not become minority. Islam growth well, even there were Moslems who became officials, councilors and scholars in New Delhi.
- Since India was free on 15th August 1947, India became a republic. Then some of Moslem thinkers started appearing. So that, Moslems in India get free and they can live together with other religions in India.
- The government of India also assigned holidays on the Great day of Islam in New Delhi. It also becomes a place to gather the community of Moslems that follow Hanafi mazhab. Since 2000, the awareness of learning Islam started to spread in New Delhi. It was signed with the emergence of Islamic center.
- The majority of Moslems in India lived in one place. So it eased them to consolidate something that they needed. In doing da’wah, some Islamic foundations in India gave loan to those who needed without interest. Islamic organizations were engaged in many fields such as education, da’wah, economy and culture.
- Until now, Islamic schools and university (heritance of Islamic kingdom) still keep running as usual. For example, Darul Ulum and Nadwal Ulama in Luchnow, Osmaniyah University and Dairatul Ma’arif in Heiderabad. The Islamic student organizations also grow in many university. They are independent and they follow Islamiah Jemaah Islamiyah.
Thus the article about 14 impacts of Islam on Indian society – historical point of view. Islam is a perfect religion. Wherever Islam, it will bring many goodness for believers and others in the world. Hopefully, we can also bring many goodness for our society by doing da’wah for others. Amen.