“O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughter and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves (part) of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.” (QS. Al-Ahzab : 59)
From the above verse said that dress especially for women must not revealing their private part since it may cause abusing. Islam always protect their people from the evil deeds and guide them for the better living being and to create a peacefulness therefore they set rules of dressing in Islam. Read also : how to meditate in Islam
Fashion Industry and The Impact on The Rules of Dressing In Islam
As human beings it is a nature that we are trying to look good and better. Thus human may easy to be consumed by worldly things including being consumtive and trying to follow the trend.
Fashion industry became more and more advance, a lot invention of new unique and strange clother models that were unimaginable before. Some of them revealing to much of our body parts and sometimes it looks weird, the trend will always change everytime. The needs of fashion and clothes in modern era became wide-spread, not only young people, old people, men, women everyone want to look fashionable. Read also : benefits of honesty in Islam
The fashion industry also entering the muslims dress method today that makes them more diverse in style. A lot of muslims designer create a dress, hijab, clothes and accessories even the create a fashion trend among muslims.But what the question burst in actually how muslims should dress?
Rules of Dressing in Islam
Islam is a way of life that each of the aspect in Islam is designed by Allah SWT to give a guidance thus it also set a rules for its people on how to dressing in Islamic way. The following verses will explained how Islam see how should a muslim dressing :
“Tell the believing men to reduce (some) of their vision and guard their private parts. That is purer for them. Indeed, Allah is Acquainted with what they do. And tell the believing women to reduce (some) of their vision and guard their private parts and not expose their adornment except that which (necessarily) appears thereof and to wrap (a portion of) their headcovers over their chests and not expose their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband’s fathers, their sons, their husband’s sons, their brothers, their brother’s sons, their sister’s sons, their women, that which their right hand posses, or those male attendants having no physical desire, or children who are not yet aware of the private aspects of women.
And let them not stamp their feet to make known what they conceal of their adornment. And turn to Allah in repentance, all of you, O believers, that you might succeed.” (QS. An-Nur : 30-31)
Indeed that it is important for muslims to understand the rule of dressing in Islam.
1. The dress must covered the awrah (private parts in Islamic though) of muslims
An awrah is the parts of our body that in Islam should be covered that will distinct between man and woman but basically it including of private parts.
“O children of Adam, We have bestowed upon you clothing to conceal your private parts and as adornment. But the clothing of righteousness – that is best. That is from the signs of Allah that perhaps they will remember.” (QS. Al-A’raf : 26)
Read also : benefits of grapes in Islam
Thus the dress for woman in Islam must be according to this rules :
- The dresses or hijab must covering the entire body except face and the hands
- The dress should be loosen or not tight and not tranlucent. Muslim’s women should avoid a tight clothes that revealing their body shape and create an image of it. [AdSense-B]
- It recommended that muslim’s women should dress to represent their identity of women and not resembling man clothes. It is prohibited in Islam to dress like the opposite sex (women dress like men and vice versa.
“Rasulullah SAW cursed the man who dressed lika a woman and the woman who dressed like a man.” (Narrated by Abu Hurairah)
- Muslims women should not dress because they want a fame and do not wear a clothes that excessively opulent or glamour since moderation is more liked by Rasulullah SAW.
“Do you not hear?Do you not hear? Verily, simple living is part of faith, simple living is part of faith.” (Narrated by Abu Dawud?
- Muslims women should not wearing a dress that resembling the identity of non-muslims
And, the dress for men is set as the rules in the following :
- The parts of the body for a man to covered is from the naval to the knees
- As well as women, men’s dress should not resembling the identity of non-muslims
- And muslims men should not dress that resembling the opposite sex
- Men’s dress also should be loosen and not showing their body shape
- Unless women, men in Islam is not permitted to wear any kind of things made by gold in their body and dresses made of pure silk
2. Muslim’s dress is not restricted but it is a proud statement of their own faith and believed of Allah SWT and Islam as religion
Western people or non-muslims thinks that Islam as religion restrict their people to explore and express theirselves. But indeed, Islam does not restrict their people, just give a guidance it is up to muslims on what they want to do or choose. Islam did not restrict their people, but it is their people who are choose to express their pride to be muslims. Read also : importance of dignity in Islam
3. It is prohibited to wear a see-through dress both for men or women
Rasulullah once ever warned that in the future there would be a people “who are dressed yet naked.” To avoid an evilest deed like that, muslims should follow one of the rules of dressing in Islam which is using a thick enough garment so that our skin and body shape will not be revealed.
4. The muslims overall appearance should emit modesty and dignity
Islam encourage muslims to always bring modesty in their behaviour and appearance. Rasulullah said in the following hadith,
“Faith consists of more than sixty branches (parts). And haya (modesty) is part of faith.” (Narrated by Al-Bukhari)
5. Women are not allowed to apply perfume when they want to pray in Mosque
Perfume usually applied in clothes or skin and it is permissible to use it, but as muslims women we should aware that we are not allowed to use perfume if we want to go to pray in mosque. The smell of perfume feared to distract others and the solemn of prayer. Read also : importance of veil in Islam
6. Muslim’s dresses must clean and decent
Allah really love cleanliness since it is a half of faith. That is way in the way of dressing muslims must place clean among anything else.
“….Indeed Allah loves those who are constantly repentant and loves those who purify themselves.” (QS. Al-Baqarah : 222)
7. It is recommended to dress according the place, condition and situation
A dress used at home and when we going out must be distinct. When we attend to office or celebration party may be different. Dressing should also adjust to the event we are going to attend, moreover if you are going to attend a formal event. Muslims should know how, when, and where to behave even in attire.
Those are the rules of dressing in Islam muslims should know, thanks for reading.