If we read the last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah at night, then Allah SWT will promise a sufficient life to His people. Besides that, many Ulama said that applying these last two verses can avoid us from devil’s interference, diseases and fulfill the needs of night prayers. (See also benefits of night prayers)
In a hadith, Rasulullah saw also showed about the virtue of last two verses Surah Al Baqarah. Here is an explanation from the word of Rasulullah saw :
“Whoever reads the last two verses from Surah Al Baqarah at night, then he will be given sufficiency.” (Narrated by Bukhari number 5009 and Muslim number 808)
The Virtue of the Last Two Verses Surah Al-Baqarah
There are many people who have not understood about the last two verses Surah Al Baqarah. Most of them only read it, but they do not know the important meaning in it. The meaning of last two verses Surah Al Baqarah can be understood and studied below :
“The Messenger has believed in what was revealed to him from his Lord, and [so have] the believers. All of them have believed in Allah and His angels and His books and His messengers, [saying].
“We make no distinction between any of His messengers.” And they say, “We hear and we obey. [We seek] Your forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the [final] destination.” (Q.S. Al-Baqarah : 285)
“Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. “Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten to erred.
Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people.” (Q.S. Al-Baqarah : 286)
Those verses are very clear that there are some requests to Allah SWT :
- Wa’fu ‘anna, forgive upon the deficiency in our obligatory run.
- Waghfirlanaa, forgive us because we have fallen into a haram matter.
- Warhamnaa, grace us by giving tawfik, so we can keep istiqamah.
There are explanation from many Ulama about the virtue of last two verses Surah Al Baqarah below, let check them together.
Ulama said about who is reading and applying the last two verses Surah Al Baqarah, Allah SWT has promised to him that Allah SWT will give all sufficiency of his business in the world and in the hereafter.
Besides that, he will be avoided from all badness that maybe come without permission. There is another Ulama who said that if someone read and apply those verses, then his faith will become new again because the result of content in those verses show submissive attitude to Allah Ta’ala. [AdSense-B]
Another opinion from Ulama explain that those two verses can be used as a substitute for some dhikr activities because the content in those verses has been completed by dua to ask goodness in the world and in the afterlife. (See the discussion Prof. Dr. Musthafa Al-Bugha in Nuzhah Al-Muttaqin, page 400 – 401)
The statement from Al-Qadhi ‘Iyadh about the meaning of last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah in hadith said that by reading then applying the last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah can be used to fulfill from night prayers.
Imam Nawawi explained about the meaning of last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah that Allah SWT will give many sufficiency to him. But, another Ulama said that they have been fulfilled from the activity of night prayers. This is meant that it can be used as a substitution of night prayers.
Syaikh Muhammad bin Shalih Al-‘Utsaimin said about matters that are related about virtue of the last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah at night, here is a clear explanation :
“Know the Ikhwan, if these two verses are read at night, then you will be given sufficiency. The meaning of sufficiency here is guarded and commanded by Allah, also noted in dua because there are dua for the benefit of the world and the Hereafter.” (Ahkam Al-Quran Al-Karim, 2 : 540-541)
From all meanings above, the statement from Imam Nawawi can represent from all the meanings and intentions of the whole hadith. (See Syarh Shahih Muslim, 6 : 83-84)
These two verses also have faedah that we can learn and understand :
- When someone cannot do the process of sanctification by using water because he is sick such as paralysis, difficult to get water, and others, then he is allowed to wudu by other way, that is tayamum. If he cannot do tayamum because he do not get dust or soil, then they are not obliged because they are unable. See also moderation in Islam
- When someone is praying and he gets najis accidentally in his cloth, then he is difficult to replace his cloth, the najis cannot be cleaned and he still continues to do prayer, then the prayer does not need to be repeated again. Because indirectly the obligation will fall as long as it cannot be fulfilled. You may also read cleanliness in Islam.
- When a person do prayer, he must face to the Qibla. But if he is sick, he cannot face the Qibla and no one can help him to direct his body toward the Qibla. Indirectly, that condition will rule out the obligation to face the Qibla.
- While doing prayer, but you cannot stand, then at that time you are allowed to replace it with sitting. If you cannot still sit, then you are allowed to replace it with lying to the right or left side and face to the Qibla. Then you can do ruku and sujud by using the head gesture.
- When a person cannot read Surah Al-Fatihah and also does not know, then the obligation of reading Surah Al-Fatihah will fall by itself. He is obligated to read dhikr with tahmid, takbir and tahlil to replace it. You may also read virtues of dhikr to Allah SWT.
- If it has entered into the obligatory category to do zakat and at that time there is no cash or you cannot buy an item which will be used as zakat, then at that time, zakat can be postponed until you can buy the goods. (See also how to give sadaqah in Islam)
Thus this article about virtue of the last two verses Surah Al-Baqarah. Hopefully it can help you to learn and understand it more deeply. So that later, it may be used as a reference that can be applied in the daily life and add your knowledge. Amen. Thank you for spending your time to read this article. See you.
See also :