Types of purification in Islam can be divided into three form. Three form of purification in Islam are purification of soul, purification from filth, and purification from ritual impurity. Islam love purification (taharah) in Quran and Hadith are always mentioned. It is stated that before performing prayer or worship muslims should perform purification in order to purify themselves.
“Do not stand (for prayer) within it – ever. A mosque founded on righteousness from the first day is more worthy for you to stand in. Within it are men who love to purify themselves, and Allah loves those who purify themselves. (QS. At-Tawbah : 108)
Observing cleanliness both for soul, clothes, body, and surroundings is obligatory for muslims. It is also considered as one of the pillars of Islam. Even before touch Quran muslims are encouraged to purify themselves first. As mentioned in the following verse :
“Indeed, it is a noble Qur’an. In a Register well-protected. None touch it exccept the purified.” (QS. Al-Waqi’ah : 77-79)
According to the explanation before indeed purification is strongly important in Islam. But than what exactly are types of purification in Islam that muslims should know in order to perform it? Read more about Ways To Purify Yourself In Islam
Types of Purification in Islam
As mentioned before that the types of purification are divided into three form. In this article we will discuss about those three form and the example of each type.
1. Purification of soul
Islam see that people who get heart diseases or belief anything other than Allah SWT or they tent to be disbeliever as impure. It is mentioned in the following verse :
“O you who have believed, indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram after this, their (final) year. And if you fear privation, Allah will enrich you from His bounty if He wills. Indeed, Allah is knowing and Wise.” (QS. At-Tawbah : 28)
Rasulullah SAW, used to ask Allah SWT to purify him from sins. From Abdullah ibn Abi Awfa:
“O Allah! All praise is due to You, filling the heavens, filling the earth, and filling whatever else You Wish. O Allah! Purify me with snow, (water of) hail and cold water, O Allah, purify me from sins and misdeeds just as a white garment is cleansed from dirt.” (Muslim)
2. Purification from dirt or filth
We commonly said this type of purification for our physical hygiene and appearance. In Islam keep a personal hygiene is part of emaan (faith). Rasulullah said about purity in the following hadith:
“Cleanliness is half the faith (emaan).” (Muslim)
Rasulullah always encourages his people to follow him. He always kept his body and clothes in a clean condition, he dislike the smelly things. He also encourage muslims to appreciated appearance and be a neat person. Read more about How to Increase Self Caring in Islam
3. Purification from ritual impurity
In Islam we distinct ritual to purify ourselves in two types which are major and minor impurity. The major impurity is required for example after menstruation or sexual intercourse. It demand muslims to perform ghusl (full body ritual purification) and it is mandatory for muslims. While the minor impurity is performing ablution or wudhoo. It is required before muslims practicing prayer.
From the above explanation types of purification in Islam according to the practice are:
- Clean or meditate our mind to release negative thingking from our heart.
- Avoiding any action that resulting with sins. Read more about How to Avoid Gossip in Islam
- We can perform dhikr or dua to increase our faith and keep our soul in ease and always steadfast.
- Heart or qalb in Islam is the most important part of a person. Muslims should reading Qur’an to keep their hear or qalb from being impure, as written in the following verse:
“Allah has sent down the best statement: a consistent Book wherein is reiteration. The skins shiver therefrom of those who fear their Lord; then their skins and their hearts relax at the remembrance of Allah. That is the guidance of Allah by which He guides whom He wills. And one whom Allah leaves astray – for him there is no guide.” (QS. Az-Zumar : 23)
- Muslims should get rid of anger or hatred since it will make our mind became cloudy. An anger or hatread can lead a person into disgression.
- Muslim can give charities to purify their wealth. In our wealth there are part of other person right too namely for the poor and orphans as an example.
“Take. (O, Muhammad), from their wealth a charity by which you purify them and cause the increase, and invoke (Allah’s blessings) upon them. Indeed, your invocations are reassurance for them. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.” (QS. At-Tawbah : 103)
- By performing small acts of kindness we also can purify our heart from bad attitude. We can start with offering helps to other person. [AdSense-C]
- Repentance of our past deeds, as Rasulullah said in the following hadith :
“the best of creation, would seek repentance over 70 times a day; repentance from a sin reduces its sweetness – it discourages you from doing it again.”
- Prayer and remembering Allah by reciting His name are forms of purification too. Remember that Allah SWT always beside us and wes must eliminated possibilities of being disbelief. Read more about Importance of Tafsir in islam
“He has certainly succeded who purifies himself. And mentions the name of his Lord and prays.” (QS. Al-A’la : 14-15)
- It is mentioned before that keeping personal hygiene is types of purification. Thus, any activities of keeping our personal hygiene will be caunted as purification such as taking a bath, wash our hands, brushing teeth, cutting nails and so forth
- Muslims before performing prayer should take ablution (wudhoo) first. Wudhoo is also types of purification.
- Beside wudhoo, ghusl is included as purifation too. Muslims who are in the state of janabah is required to perform ghusl before doing prayer or reading Quran. Read more about How to Improve Willpower in Islam
“O you who have believed, when you rise to (perform) prayer, wash your faces and your forearms to the elbows and wipe over your heads and wash your feet to ankles.
And if you are in the state of janabah, then purify yourselves. But if you are ill or on a journey or one of you comes from the place of relieving himself or you have contacted women and do not find water, then seek clean earth and wipe oever your faces and hands with it. Allah does not intent to make difficuly for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful.” (QS. Al-Ma’idah : 6)
Those example of types of purification in Islam muslims should know. I hope this articles will give an extra knowledge for us.