A beginner of Moslem is a person who already embrace Islam as his/her new religion. The term of Muallaf is categorize as those who are ready to embrace Islam as their religion. We often mention them as a Muallaf, because the person accept Islam as a true faith. However, the terms of Muallaf is common whether the person already converted or not to convert as long as they believe for Islam and God is the only one. In the Islamic term, Mu’allaf is a called for Non-Moslem person which expected to embrace Islam and those who newly Moslem that their Imaan need to be supported by the same Moslem brother / sisters, such as guiding on how to pray in Islam for beginners. According to Quran 9:60 (At-Taubah) that Muallaf have a right to accept Zakah.
“The charities (Zakah) are only for the poor and for the needy and for those who collect them (zakah) and for inclined their hearts (for Islam) and the freeing of their neck (freeing slaves) and for those in debt and for in the way to Allah and for the way farer (a traveler) due to an obligation from Allah . And Allah is Knowing and Wise”
Read also: Meditation in Islam
How to be a Muallaf?
Before embracing Islam officially, a muallaf (a person who expeting to be a moslem) should some consider anything that prevent theirselves from hardship and confusion. Before a Moeslem declare of faith by saying Syahadah, there are some points that they should pay attention.
a. Testing your Sincerity to Being Moeslem
There are some testing that Allah will give you to make sure on how firm you in Islam. First of all. You should realize that after converting to Islam you will be tested by Allah as to how firm you are on your Islam. The test will identify whether the person is as sincere Moeslem or not as well the sincere one will reach a higher rank in heaven.
According to Quran 29:2.-3
“And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allah knows all that before putting them to test)“.
The highest heaven is called Firdaus heaven, which is if the person have passed the difficult test that Allah give, then Allah will honoured the Fridaus. However, Allah will not test beyond their capability, and all the test have the problem solving.
Read also: Racism and Islam
b. Learning All about Islam Religion
When you decide to be a moeslem, learn a lot about it, beginning from the regulation, fiqh, the history, etc. No need to worry as Rome is not build in one day, you may learn year by year and gradually. Even though the born Moslem should need learn a lot about it. You have not to learn all about it in one time. You may prioritize learning a things such as the obligatory prayer (salat) as well the ablution (wudu). You should finding on how to pray in Islam for beginners.
c. There is no need to Change your Name
You don’t need to change your name in Arabic right away, because your own name is unique name. You may change it by the time or you keep your name.
d. Perform Ablution based on Islamic Law
After you declare your converting, you should perform ablution and wear a clean clothes and start learning for 5 times praying. You keep remembering about 5 pillar of Islam, and the second point of it is an obligatory praying (of 5 times praying). Because that it is very obligatory which a moslem leave it behind, so you get sin.
e. Beginners must be Obey Islamic Law based on Holy Qur’an
A new moeslem must learn which one can be done and which one is prohibited to do. The simple way for beginners to learn some things, such as:
- What food and beverage must avoid, such as pork, blood of animal, and alcoholic drinking.
- You have to dress Islamically for women it is a must you have to cover all over your body except palms and face. The part of the body covered is called awrah. For men, the part of the body must cover is from the belly button to ankle.
- A new Moeslem should learn for Ramadan Fasting, and because of fasting is hard for the new Moeslem, so it is recommended you train for fasting 2 months earlier before Ramadan.
- For a new Moslem, avoid some debates in Islam for you do not have much deep learning in Islam. It is ok when you have already read the book about Islam. Joining the Islamic debat and your knowledge of Islam is still a little, you might saying a wrong thing that lead other Moslem declare you as a non-Moslems and this make you feel upset.
- Learning Islam from the old or born Moeslem, and better from the scholar, since the person know better about Islam. You may find the capable source or literature about Islam.
Read also: Eating Habits in Islam
How to Pray for Muallaf
When a new Moslem embrace Islam and make declaration of Shahadah, firstly the person must learn five times obligatory prayer. Since it is second of five pillar of Islam after saying Shahadah, then it is a must to perform everyday as a good Moslem. At first, it feel hard to perform and difficult in memorize the reciting inside prayer. However, if you perform it everyday, gradually, you will memorize the recitation. The points of praying for beginner will describe it.
1. Prayer Times
It is different in one area to other, you can get the sound of calling prayer in the local mosque (adhan). In case you live in an area which is no mosque, but you may get a guidance of praying times to the other Moslem who take note the praying times. You may get the from the website http://www.islamicfinder.org/ as well asking to the local mosque. The following are the five times praying that may useful for your guidance.
Fajr (Dawn Prayer) 2 rakaat, from dawn to sunrise.
- Dhuhr (Midday Prayer), 4rakaat, in the middle day to afternoon.
- Asr (Afternoon Prayer), 4 rakaat, in the afternoon to sunset.
- Magrib (The sunset Prayer), 3 rakaat, from sunset to evening.
- Isha (The late evening Prayer), 4 rakaat, from late evening to middle of the night, and can be extended until dawn.
2. The Direction of The Pray
In performing prayer, all of Moeslem in the world face the direction to Kabbah. Kabbah is the Sacred House of Allah inside Masjidil Haram, located in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The direction called qiblah. You may ask the qiblah from your Moeslem brother / sister in your area. If you find any difficult in finding qiblah, you may use digital compass or google map, where the Kabbah is from your location.
Read also: Anger Management in Islam
3. Getting ready for Prayer
There are some things which practically needed to get your attention before you are getting ready for doing prayer, as follows:
- Pay attention for the requirement of outfit which cover the body, men are different requirement with the woman. In qur’an it is a must for woman to cover her auraat (part of the body that must be covered) whole body with loose outfit except palms and face. If for a new Moslems women do not have one, they may use women praying outfit which can be buy in the Moslems fashion shop. While for men, should wear a clothes from belly button to ankle and make sure the shoulder are covered.
- Before performing salaat, a Moslem should be in a state of purity, which is they perform ablution (wudu) to wash away from naajis (the feses or urin), farting, pee, and poop as well getting up from sleep. However, the Moslem should perform bathing (ghusl) as they had intercourse, ejaculated (conscious or unconscious by wet dream), after period as well the post partum bleeding.
- Make sure that no spot of dirty in the clothes or the body.
Read also: How to do Istikhara in Islam
4. Standing straight and make an intention in the heart (niyyah)
In all over Islamic prayer, it should be done by doing niyyah. Thus, it gives us the proper time to focus only for doing prayer which is our symbols of kindness request to Our Almighty God.
5. Performing Prayer
There are steps to do Islamic prayer, as follows:
1. Opening Takbir by raising both hands up to the shoulder then say:
It means: Allah is the Greates.
2. Place your hands on below the chest with the right hand is on the left hands, and focus yourself in one spot to begin reciting.
[AdSense-A] 3. Reciting surah Al-Fatiha:
“A‘udhu billahi minash-shaytaanir-rajeem. Bismilla-hir-rahma-nir-raheem. Alhamdu lil-lahi rab-bil ‘alameen. Ar-rahma-nir-raheem. Maliki yawmid-deen. Iyyaka na’budu wa iyyaka nasta’een. Ihdinas-siratal mostaqeem. Siratal-lazeena an’amta ‘alayhim. Ghayril maghdubi ‘alayhim . wa-lad-daa-leen. Aameen”
In English translation:
“I seek refuge with Allah from the Evil One; I begin with the Name of Allah, the Most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy; Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds; The Most Merciful, the Bestower of Mercy; Master of the Day of Judgment; You alone we worship; You alone we ask for help; Show us the straight path; The path of those whom You have favored; Not the (path) of those who earn Your anger; Nor of those who go astray. Please accept.”
4. Reciting surah of the Qur’an (for first and second rakaah only).
5. Bowing (Rukuu). Before bowing, make takbiratul ikhram as you did in the beginning of praying and say “Allahu Akbar” followed with your back straight, bend in the bowing posture, and repeat in a low voice three times:“Subhana rabbi-yal-‘azeem”
It means: “How Perfect is my Lord, the Supreme!”
6. Standing up from the bowing posture (i’tidal).
7. Stand up straight from the bowing posture till your back comes to its normal upright position and raise your hands up while get up from bowing and say “Sami’ allahu liman hamidah”
It means: “Allah listens to the one who praises Him.”While standing, we say:“Rab-bana wa lakal hamd”
Our Lord, and to You be all Praise.”
8. First Prostration (Sujood)Go down on the ground to prostrate, while going down, say:“Allahu akbar”
Allah is the Greatest.
In prostration your forehead, nose, both hands, knees, and feet should be touching the ground in line. Although ou may feel uncomfortable at the first time, just remember you are closest to Allah in prostration. You will get in used to do it. Repeat in a low voice three times:
Which means: “How Perfect is my Lord, the Most High.’
9. Sitting between prostration.You will get up and sit from the first prostration. While rising up to sit, say:“Allahu akbar”
“Allah is the Greatest.’While sitting say:
“Rabbi igh firli warhamni wajburni warfa’ni warzuqni wahdini”
Which means, “Oh My Lord forgive me, have mercy on me, rectify me, uplift me, provide for me, and guide me!”
10. Perform second prostration as you perform in first prostration and always say Allahu Akbar for changing position.Continued in the second rakaat and more. It is the same steps as mentioned above
11. First Sitting position (Tashahud)It is performing after you finish second rakaat, then continued to getting up if you perform the next third rakaat. Recite the tahiyyah:“At-tahiy-yatu lil-lahi was-salawatu wat-tayibatu. As-salamu ‘alika ay-yuhan-nabiy-yu wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh. As-salamu ‘alayna wa ‘ala ‘ibadil-la-his-saliheen. Ash-hadu al-la ilaha il-lal-laah. wa ash-hadu an-na Muhammadan ‘abduhu wa rasuluh“
Which means: “All compliments, prayers and good words are due to Allah. O Prophet, and also the mercy of Allah and His blessings. Peace be on us and on the righteous slaves of Allah. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and messenger”
12. Second sitting positionIt is the final of your prayer.When you perform the last rakaah, after the first sitting position, then continued to second sitting position.While sitting, continue to reciting.“Allah humma sal-li ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aali Muhammad Kama sal-layta ‘ala Ibraheem wa ‘ala aali Ibraheem innaka hameedum-majeed Allah humma barik ‘ala Muhammad wa ‘ala aali Muhammad. Kama barakta ‘ala Ibraheem wa ‘ala aali Ibraheem. Innaka hameedum-majeed.”
It means: ‘O Allah! send prayers on Muhammad. And on the family of Muhammad as you sent prayers on Abraham and on the family of Abraham. You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory. O Allah! send blessings on Muhammad and on the family of Muhammad as you sent blessings on Abraham and on the family of Abraham; You are indeed Worthy of Praise, Full of Glory.’
13. The Closing (Salaam)Then conclude the prayer by turning your head to the right then left, each time saying,As-salamu ‘alikum wa rahmatullah
It means: ‘Peace and Allah’s Mercy be on you.’
There are some Arabic recitation the new Moslem memorize, but don’t make it a burden to you. By time, when you perform the prayer sincerely, gradually you will memorize all of the recitation of the prayer.
In case you feel still got less information, here the visual guide for you to perform islamic prayer.
Read also: Divorce Law in Islam
The Stories of Muallaf Experience
For those who still doubt to intercourse to being a moeslem, here some stories by public figures which already countered as moeslem, as follows:
- Yusuf Islam
He is formerly a pop star born in England as Christian by nature for his family is a Christian. He knew God is exist but he felt there is no directon in contact with God. Respected to his family’s faith, he then more and less believe of it. He then had a good career in a pop star all that he gained: money, the status, popularity, considering that a lot of money is the God.
However, during the popularity and money, he suffered TB and hospitalized, make him wondering what is the goal of the life? Whether is it satisfy the body, and what is the matter of the death? He then started finding mysticism and learning the eastern faith such as Buddhism, Zen, Ching, Astrology, then he back for the bible but he could not find anything and he felt surrounded by emptiness. In the searching of the faith, he created a song “The Way Find God Out” telling that he was in sincerely finding the truth of the God.
One day his brother went to Jerusalem and told Stevens after he back to London that he visited a Mosque and impressed that it is crowded of people but still gave a tranquility and peace atmosphere. The brother as well gave him a translation of Quran and he started to read. He then realized that Quran has a guidance for everything in Islam. He realized that Qur’an told everything on how the world and whole living is created, who is creating all of the universe. And the truth for Jews and Christians.
He felt he is as a Moslem, although he had not testify it. He then went to Jerusalem, visited the mosque and sat, followed the praying but still confused. He told to the old men beside him that he want to be a moslem. One and a half year after he read the Qur’an, a day, in Friday after praying Jum’ah in 1977 he declared that he is a Moeslem and changed his name to be Yusuf Islam.
- Lydia, an Australian woman
Formerly, she had a negative thought about Islam, in why they attacked the white western, why the moslem women were oppressed. She then went to Auburn Gallipoli Mosque and she changed her thought about Islam. She reaized the similarity between Islam and her former religion, Christian, of how tey have the same prophet such as Adam, Abraham ,Moses, Noah, etc. She still found out on why moslem killing to the innocent people, until she found a Quran quoted “those who kills one person is like killing all of humanity. He who saves one person is like saving all of humanity” she then realized on how peaceful Islam is. Then she began wearing hijab for that it is not about oppressing the woman but protect the woman from sexual harrasment of a strange men. It is obligatory in quran wearing hijab for all the woman.
Hopefully, this article can be useful for those who just embrace Islam and need guiding a Muallaf before deciding became a Moeslem.