Aqeeqah is an Islam celebration to thank of a baby born by slaughtering a goat. It has a different requirement to slaughter a goat for the boy and the girl, which is 2 goats for a boy and 1 goat for the girl. Here is information related to aqeeqah, its theorem and other information about aqeeqah in Islam.
Some of Ulama’s mentioned that Aqeeqah is a mandatory, other said it is Sunnah Mu’akkad and the rest said it is sunnah. Here are the Ulama’s opinions:
- Among Sunnah and Mandatory
Jumhur or most opinions mentioned that aqeeqah is a sunnah and other said it is a mandatory due to it is relation to slaughter the goat directly. The best day for doing aqeeqah is on the 7th day as the person is able to do it. Read more about How to Give Thanks in Islam
- Based on Shahih Theorem
The strongest opinion is Sunnah Mu’akkad because it is related to theorem of Ulama’s, while others said that it is a kind of sacrifice freedom from the devil’s bridle. Read more about Things to Do on Friday in Islam
- Sunnah Aqeeqah for children
Rasulullah Allaihi Wassalam said,
“All baby born mortgaged with his aqeeqah on the 7th day by slaughtering (goat), named, and haircut.” [Shahih, AR. Abu Dawud, Tirmidzi and friends].
It is a common sunnah tradition for all Moslem in the world and it will last forever. Read more about How to Deal With Ego in Islam
- Aqeeqah as a mandatory
It is a mandatory for those (Moslem) who have good financial due to the importance of welcoming the baby born.
Laws of Aqeeqah in Quran
Here are some Islam’s theorems in Quran to held aqeeqah :
- Salman bin ‘Amir Ad-Dhabiy
He mentioned that Rasulullah said, “Aqeeqah is performing for baby birth, slaughtered an animal, and gone all his interferences.” [Shahih, Theorem Bukhari (5472), see more Fathul Bari (9/590-592), Irwan Ghalil (1171), Syaikh Albani]. Read more about Importance of Faith in Islam
- Samurah bin Jundab
He mentioned that Rasulullah said, “All baby born mortgaged with his aqeeqah on the 7th day by slaughtering (goat), named, and haircut.” [Shahih, Theorem of Abu Dawud (2838), Tirmidzi (1552), Nasa’l (7/166), Ibnu Majah (3165), Ahmad (5/7-8, 17-18, 22), Ad Darimi (2/81), and others].
She mentioned that Rasulullah said,” Baby boy will have 2 goats and baby girl will have 1 goat.” [Shahih, Theorem of Ahmad (2/31, 58,251), Tirmidzi (1513), Ibnu Majah (3163), Sanad Hasan]. Read more about Rights of Orphans in Islam
- Ibnu Abbas
Ibnu Abbas mentioned that Rasulullah said,” Do Aqeeqah for Hasan and Hussein for each 1 goat.” [HR. Abu Dawud (2841), Ibnu Jarud in Al Muntaqa holy (912), Thabrani (11/316), shahih as it told by Ibnu Daqiqiel ‘led ]. [AdSense-B]
- ‘Amr Bin Syu’aib
His great-grandfather and grandfather mentioned that Rasulullah said,” Those who wish to slaughter goat to welcome the baby born; he shall prepares 2 same goats for a boy and 1 for a girl.” [Hasan, Theorem of Abu Dawud (2843), Nasa’l (7/162-163), Ahmad (2286, 3176), Abdur Razaq (4/330), Al- Hakim Shahih (4/238)].
- Fatimah binti Muhammad
When Fatimah binti Muhammad give birth, Rasulullah said,“Cut his hair, give alms to the poor likewise the hair’s being cut.” [Hasan, Theorem of Ahmad (6/390), Thabrani in “Mu’jamul Kabir” (1/121/2), Al-Baihaqi (9/304) from Syuraiq Abdillah bin Muhammad bin Uqoil]. Read more about Importance of Judiciary in Islam
Related article: Praying Tips for children, Fasting Tips for pregnant women in Ramadhan, How to educate children in Islam.
Laws and Guidance for Aqeeqah
Some of laws and guidance to implement aqeeqah :
- Aqeeqah as Shari’a in Islam: Aqeeqah is one of shari’a Islam which supported by theorem of Rasulullah,” Every child will prosecuted with his aqeeqah.”
- Numbers of Slaughtered animal: It is mentioned,” For a boy (his aqeeqah is 2 goats), while for a girl (her aqeeqah) 1 goat.” [AdSense-A]
- Laws of Aqeeqah as Sunnah: Imam Malik, Imam Syafi’i, Imam Ahmad are believed that Aqeeqah is a Sunnah because if it is a mandatory, Rasulullah will already give declaration about it. Imam Lait’s and Imam Al-Basri stated that if Aqeeqah is a mandatory based on 1 theorem, “Kullu ghulamin murtahanun bi’ aqeeqah”, means that every child will be prosecuted with his aqeeqah. Read more about Importance of Nafl Prayer
- Unbroken the slaughtered bones: The bones shall not be broken as if we wish safety for the whole body of the child when slaughtered. Read more about Importance of Breakfast in Islam
- Forbidden Disable for Animal Slaughter: Aqeeqah is valid when its requirements fulfilled (disable and mature in Shari’a Islam). It is slaughtered on the 7th day of the birth as a thankful to Allah SWT. One Camel or one cow for each child is also allowed to be sacrificed, but goat is the best.
- Aqeeqah means children’s shackle: It means that a freedom from all interferences which bounded to children. Before slaughtered, it is intended to mention his child and father’s name. It is also recommend to gives sweat seasoning, wishing the child will have a good attitude.
- Cutting his hair: It is done after aqeeqah is finished likewise in Hajj as in tahalul process. The hairs will be weighted and converted as if silver or gold. Rasulullah mentioned it to Fatimah when she’s done aqeeqah to Hussein and also gives alms with gold. A midwife who helped birth shall be gifted a thighs or goat’s leg.
- Tahnik: Means to put something sweats into a baby mouth. Once, it is a tradition that Rasulullah SWT blessed the baby born. Rasulullah will ask a date, chewed it until smooth and give it some to the baby by putting into his sky ceiling. The purpose is to give strength and blessed. Read more about Benefits of Kindness in Islam
Congratulation in aqeeqah
It will bring happiness to all family involved for the baby presence.
Barakallahu laka fil mauhubi laka wasyakartal wahiba wabalagha assyaddahu waruziqat birrahu.
“Wish Allah give abundant blessed and we shall thankful. May this child can reach his manhood and we get his devotion.”
Barakallahu laka wabaraka alaika “nor” ajzalallahu tsawabaka.
“May Allah blessed us and give us a big charity in returned.”
Aqeeqah is one of oncoming to Allah SWT showing our thankful due to the baby birth. It is also shown as a joyful to perform Shari’a Islam, increase our descendants when the doomsday comes.
Hope this article is helpful.