Fasting Six Days of Shawwal – How to Do – The Virtue
Fasting is the fourth pillar of Islam so every Muslim is required to implement it. Among the various Sunnah fasting, one of the fasts that the Prophet Muhammad never left was the fast of Shawwal.
What is Fasting Six Days of Shawwal?
Shawwal is one of the names of the month of ma’ruf, the name of the month after the month of Ramadhan, and is the beginning of the Hajj months. The naming of the Shawwal is taken from Sya-lat al Ibil’s sentence which means that the camel lifts or upsets its tail. Shawwal is interpreted as such because ancient Arabs hang their war tools, because it is close to the illegal months, the month of prohibition to war.
Shawwal fasting is done for 6 days. The time of worship of Sunnah in the month of Shawwal is after Idul Fitri. The fast of Shawwal can be done in a row and may also be the most important part of the Shawwal month. The fast of Sunnah Shawwal is more important when Muslims do it after the day of Idul Fitri although at the end of the month of Shawwal is also allowed.
See also :
Here is the dalil of fasting six days of Shawwal :
- Whoever fasts Ramadhan is then followed by fasting 6 (six) days of Shawwal, then (reward) like one full year fasting. (Hadith narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidzi and Ibn Majah)
- The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said: “Whoever performs fast six days after the feast’ Idul Fitri, then, it becomes the perfection of one-year fasting
- Allah will multiple merits by 10 times. So one month is equal to 10 months. And fasting six days is equal to a full year. (Hadith narrated by Nasa’i)
- The fasting month of Ramadan is 10x fold. Fasting six days of Shawwal is equal to two months. So the number is equal to a full year. (Hadith narrated by Ibn Khuzaimah)
- “The Prophet sallallaahu ‘alaihi wa sallam said:’ Whoever fills Ramadhan and continuing with it for six days in Shawwal, then that is the fast of life ‘.” [Muslim History 1984, Ahmad 5/417, Abu Dawud 2433, At-Tirmidzi 1164 ]
See also :
The law is sunnah that is a cause for those who do but don’t commit sins for those who leave.
“This is a hadith shahih which shows that the six-day fast of Shawwal is the Sunnah. Ash-Shafi’i, Ahmad, and many leading scholars follow him. It is not right to reject this hadith on the grounds that some of the scholars have in this fast, such as; worried people who do not know this part of Ramadhan, or fear humans will consider this obligatory, or because he does not hear that regular scholars fast in Shawwal, because these are estimates, which can not be used to reject the true Sunnah. If something has been known, then it becomes a proof for the one who does not know. ”
[Fataawa Al-Lajnah Ad-Daa’imah lil Buhuuts wal Ifta ‘, 10/389]
See also :
- Not to be executed in sequence
“These days (Shawwal fasting) should not be done immediately after Ramadhan. Can do it one day or more after ‘Id, and they can run it in sequence or separate during the month of Shawwal, whatever is easier for someone. … and this (law-) is not obligatory, but sunnah. ”
[Fataawa Al-Lajnah Ad-Daa’imah lil Buhuuts wal Ifta ‘, 10/391]
- It can not be done if it is still left in Ramadan fasting
“If a person is left behind for a few days in Ramadhan, he must fast beforehand, and then can continue it with 6 days of Shawwal’s fast because he can not continue the fasting of Ramadhan with 6 days of Shawwal’s fast unless he has completed his Ramadhan first.”
[Fataawa Al-Lajnah Ad-Daa’imah lil Buhuuts wal Ifta ‘, 10/392]
See also: Dua to Thank Allah
Procedures of Fasting Six Days of Shawwal
There are steps and procedures when we do fasting of six days of Shawwal such as :
- The intent of fasting. Nawaitu sauma ghodin sittatin min syawalin sunattan lettahi taala. The meaning: I intend to fast the sunnah six days of Shawwal because of Allah Ta’ala.
- Shawwal Sunnah fasting is done for six days.
- It’s more important to be done a day after Idul Fitri, but it’s okay to end if left in Shawwal.
- Try to fulfill Ramadhan’s fasting debt first in order to get reward and merit.
- May perform Shawwal fasting on Friday and Saturday.
See also: Types of Salat Prayer
Here are some virtues of fasting six days of Shawwal :
- His fasting value becomes perfect and it is like fasting for a full year. “Whoever fasts (in the month) of Ramadhan, then he follows it with (fasting sunnah) six days in the month of Syawwal, then (he will get the reward) like fasting a full year.”
- Beloved of Allah and gain forgiveness of sins as affirmed in the Qur’an Surah Ali Imron verse 31.
- Reach for the intercession of the Messenger of Allah and with him because of the life of the youth sunnah. “Whoever revives my sunnah really loves him, and who loves me with me in heaven.” (HR At Tirmidzi)
- Shawwal fasting is a clear sign of increased faith and piety of a Muslim. Like ‘Syawwal’ which means the month of improvement
- Fasting of Shawwal is covering the deficiency during Ramadan fasting.
- The sign of the willingness of a servant to serve Allah.
- Shawwal fasting is one of the best ways to cultivate faith in Allah and the love of His Prophet.
- Shawwal fasting is a sign of the faithful and intelligent servant of God, all the sunnah is given as a provision in the Hereafter.
- Shawwal is a good month to get married. Rasulullah SAW shows himself that the month of Shawwal is good to marry. Siti Aisyah asserted: “Rasulullah SAW married me in the month of Shawwal, gathered (built household) with me in the month of Shawwal, then who among his wife who is more fortunate than me?”.
- This is the most important meaning of Shawwal month. After Ramadan passed, in the month of Shawwal is the month of proving the success or failure in fasting Ramadan, If the goal is achieved, of course, a Muslim will be walking on a better life.
See also: Best Time to Make Dua
Fasting six days of Shawwal will give us some benefits. Here is presented the benefits of Shawwal fasting.
1. Get Perfect Reward
Fasting six days in the month of Shawwal after Ramadan is a compliment and perfect reward from fasting a year. It means that we only do this fasting but we can get many merits.
2. Overcome the Lack of Mandatory Practice
Shawwal fasting will complete the deficiencies and defects existing in mandatory practice. Everyone must have a lack of mandatory practice. This is the practice of Sunnah that will then perfect it.
See also: Surah for Success in Life
3. Increase Good Deeds in Fasting
Familiar with fast after Ramadan fasting is a sign of acceptance of Ramadhan fasting practice. Because Allah SWT accepts the practice of the slave, then He will give tidings to the next prayer. As some salaf say, “The response from good deeds is the practice of further good. Whoever performs good and then proceeds with the next good, then it is the sign of accepting the first practice. Similarly, the person who performs good and goes on to do evil, then this is a sign of rejection or rejection of good deeds that have been done. ”
4. Get Gratitude and Forgiveness from Allah
The person who fasts Ramadhan will get his reward on Idul Fitri Day which is the day of merit distribution, then familiarize the fast after Eid al-Fitr is a form of gratitude for His favor. And there is no greater favor than the forgiveness of sins. Therefore, this includes some of the expressions of the gratitude of the servant for the help and the forgiveness that he has bestowed upon him is by fasting after Ramadhan.
See also: Signs of Strong Iman
5. Becomes Near with Allah
Among the benefits of the six-day fast of the month of Shawwal is the deeds that a servant performs to approach Allah and becomes near to Lord during the month of Ramadhan. The relationship with Allah will be unbroken until we die.
See also: 6 Pillars of Islam
6. Promised the Heaven with Allah
The assertion from Rasulullah. “Whoever revives my sunnah really loves Him, and who loves Me will be with Me in heaven.” (HR At Tirmidzi). The promise is also for performing Shawwal fasting.
See also: Patience in Islam
7. Cultivate Faith in Allah
Shawwal fasting is one of the best ways to cultivate faith in Allah and the love for His Prophet. When we do Shawwal fasting, we also perform one of Allah’s instruction.
See also: 6 Pillars of Iman
8. Get Provisions For Afterlife
Shawwal fasting is one of the ways to get provisions in the afterlife. It is still uncertain whether we will go to the heaven or not in the future so we need to do good deeds a lot.
That’s it for the information of fasting six days of Shawwal. Hope this article will give us benefits and stay in Allah’s side forever.