15 Spiritual Ways How to be Peaceful in Islam
Many people often ask the key of happiness. They look for it so hard without realizing that it’s actually inside their heart. The most important thing to do to have a happy life is to find the peace in yourself. Once you feel peaceful, then your life will be settled and happy.
Then, follow the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and seek for the help from Allah SWT.
Here are the ways how to be peaceful in Islam according to Sunnah:
1. Do Everything to Please Allah
The ultimate key to have peace in your heart is by winning Allah’s favor. As written in the Holy Quran:
“The believers, men and women, are Auliya of one another; they enjoin Al-Maruf, and forbid from Al-Munkar; they perform As-Salat, and give the Zakat, and obey Allah and His Messenger. Allah will have His Mercy on them. Surely Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise. Allah has promised the believers – men and women, – Gardens under which rivers flow to dwell therein forever, and beautiful mansions in Gardens of Adn. But the greatest bliss is the Good Pleasure of Allah. That is the supreme success.” – At Tawba (9:71-72)
Also read: Virtues of Humility in Islam
2. Be Grateful to Allah
What Allah gives to you should be sufficient for you since it’s the best that Allah has decide. Be grateful to Allah so you will never feel short of anything.
“And (remember) when your Lord proclaimed: “If you give thanks, I will give you more (of My Blessings), but if you are thankless, verily! My punishment is indeed severe.” – Ibrahim (14:7)
3. Think for the Sake of Your Souls
Peace is very good for your souls. As you live with your body and soul, you should think of both health. Don’t stress out yourself too much since it’s not good for your soul. The real peace and happiness emerged from a healthy soul, so every time you are about to feel stress, remember that it’s not good for your soul. The Prophet (SAW) said,
“True enrichment does not come through possessing a lot of wealth, but true enrichment is the enrichment of the soul.” – Bukhari.
Also read: Virtues of Salaam in Islam
4. Don’t Compare Your Life with Others
The main disease that rotten your soul and keep you away from peace in your heart is jealousy. You always feel like someone else has a better life and seems happier. You compare yourself to others and forget to appreciate what you actually have. The Messenger of Allah (SAW) said,
“Look at those below you (less fortunate than you), and don’t look at those above you, for this is better.” – Muslim.
5. Don’t Expect Anything
Expect only to Allah SWT, and not to human. As Allah SWT never disappoint and human with all their imperfection are the source of disappointment. In a Hadith, the Prophet said,
“O Allah, give me enough of what You have made lawful to suffice me from what You have made unlawful, and enrich me by Your bounty giving me independence from all other than You.” – Tirmidhi
Also read: Virtue of Salat Tahiyatul Al-Masjid
6. Make Your Body Healthier
Maintaining a healthy body could be peaceful to the soul, as Allah prefer a servant with a healthy body. Healthy body means a healthy mind. Even Prophet Muhammad (SAW) has said this clearly,
“The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than the weak believer, while there is good in both.” – Muslim
7. Find the Purpose in Life
Ask yourself for what you are created and live in this world? It’s none other than worshiping Allah and please Him only. Go back to your original purpose and you will be peaceful.
Also read: Virtue of Marrying on Shawwal Month
8. Seek for Allah’s Forgiveness
What can soothe your heart other than the love and forgiveness from Allah? As we are all sinner, we must ask for Allah’s forgiveness all the time and saying Istighfar endlessly.
9. Never Let Go of Dhikr
Always wet your mouth with Dhikr, in remembrance of Allah. Dhikr make you always feel connected to Allah and all the negative vibes will be kept away from you. It could also improve your faith. Keep yourself close to Allah always.
Also read: Fasting Six Days of Shawwal
10. Recite Quran Daily
Quran can be a therapy to the soul. Whatever sadness and heavy feeling in your heart, get rid of it by reciting the Quran and understand the meaning behind it. You will find the love of Allah that is so big for you, and never you will be feeling lonely and distress again.
Things to Avoid to Gain Inner Peace
- Putting the World in the Heart and Soul. Keep in mind that world is temporary. The purpose of human living in the world is to worship Allah and do as many good deeds as possible to make a better life in the Hereafter. Don’t put your world in heart and soul, just hold it in your hand.
- Thinking That Other People’s Life is Better. Everyone is facing their own battle you never know. Just because other people seem to be having a better life outside, doesn’t mean they have it easier. Be grateful of your life and never think anyone have it better.
- Never Feel Enough of What We Have. Be sufficient for anything you have in the world. It has destined by Allah SWT and that is surely what’s best for you. Instead if always asking for more, be grateful for your life.
- Forgetting Allah. Allah is the only one you have, and He is the one who will always by your side in any situation. You must not forget Him and prioritize other thing.
- Choosing the Wrong Friends. It’s important to surround yourself with good people. They will guide you through the path of Allah. While choosing the wrong companies will keep you away from Allah.
After reading all the ways how to be peaceful in Islam, now you realize that peace lies within yourself. You don’t have to look outside you or anywhere. Ask yourself what you want in life and always remember Allah SWT in every step that you take in life. Inshaa Allah you will never lost under the guidance and protection from Allah SWT.